A fruit trifle is the perfect summer dish and this version is great for your gut too.
Packed full of fibre, this vegan trifle uses chia seeds (a nutritional powerhouse which is rich in omega-3 fats), summer fruits, coconut cream and Lizi’s Digestive Health Granola which is full of good gut bacteria.
Recipe by Jenna Farmer (Blog: A Balanced Belly) in collaboration with Lizi's
5 tbsp of chia seeds
300ml of water
4 kiwis, peeled and sliced
5 heaped tbsp of dairy-free yoghurt
75g of raspberries
150g of strawberries
250ml coconut cream*
A handful of blueberries
175g of Lizi’s Digestive Health Granola
1. Add the chia seeds to a mixing bowl and stir in 300ml of water (if you’re making this dish bigger or smaller, always stick to a ratio of 1:6 when it comes to chia seeds and water). Put the dish to one side to soak.
2. After ten minutes, the chia seeds will have absorbed the water to form a gel-like consistency (if the mixture is still a little dry, continue to slowly add more water).
3. Stir in 2 tablespoons of your coconut cream to your chia seeds. This will form the base of the trifle.
4. Pour chia seed mix into the base of the dish.
5. Slice your kiwis and layer over the chia seed mix.
6. Pour dairy free yoghurt over the kiwi layer until covered.
7. Sprinkle over your raspberries and half of the Lizi’s Digestive Health Granola
8. Spoon over your coconut cream to form the final layer of this trifle.
9. Garnish this layer with strawberries, granola and blueberries.
*If you can’t source coconut cream, tinned coconut milk can work just as well for this too, although it has a slightly thinner texture. You’ll need to refrigerate the tin for a few hours beforehand so the mix will harden (and cause the mixture to separate). Once refrigerated, scoop the solid mix out of the tin for your cream and leave most of the liquid behind for a ‘cream-like’ substitute.
Lizi’s Breakfast Range is available from Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Ocado, Asda, Morrisons, Whole Foods, Co-Op, Booths and all good health stores.
The granola range includes Digestive Health, Low Sugar, Low Sugar Maple & Pecan, High Protein, Gluten-Free, Organic, Original, Belgian Chocolate, Treacle and Pecan, Passionfruit and Pistachio, Mango and Macadamia, Pink Apple and Cinnamon. Lizi’s has also launched Lizi’s Adventurers Granola Crispies for kids, available in Banana and Strawberry flavours. The Lizi’s Super Muesli range includes: Glow, Focus, Boost and Cleanse.