This red lentil soup with coconut milk is easy to cook and doesn't cost the earth using cheap and easy to find ingredients. The coconut gives it a rich (but not too rich) flavour. Serve this with homemade bread rolls.
Serves: 4 -6
1 tbsp oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 inch of ginger root, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
Pinch of fenugreek seeds
1 cup/200g/7oz dry red lentils
½ a small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
⅓ cup/40g/1½oz fresh coriander, finely chopped
2 cups/500ml/1 pint water
¾ cup/185ml/¼ pint and 4 tbsp coconut milk
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp curry powder
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
1 pinch of ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onions, ginger, garlic and fenugreek until the onion is tender.
2. Mix the lentils, squash and coriander into the pot.
3. Stir in the water, coconut milk and tomato purée.
4. Season with curry powder, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
5. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils and squash are tender.
Recipe from Kirly -Sue
Kirly-Sue (aka Susanne Kirlew) is a vegan social media influencer, food writer, radio and TV presenter and published author. Kirly-Sue writes about vegan food and lifestyle and was named as one of the Top 100 in the Lift Effects Star Awards.
The recipe is featured in Cooking With Kids is priced available from www.KirlySuesKitchen.co.uk